Citations and Searches
Popular Family Medicine Topics
Use these convenient pre-constructed searches of the most popular topics in health professions teaching and clinical medicine to find current and reliable sources for your projects.
Find evidence-based literature from the last five years on clinical medicine topics through PubMed Medline’s database. These search links provide the most up-to-date sources for scientific studies that are randomized controlled trials, meta-analyses, multicentre studies, systematic reviews and, in some cases, cohort studies or practice guidelines.
The following topics are taken from Evidence-Based Family Medicine by Walter Rosser and Sharon Shafir (1998). Click on any topic heading to view search results. To view the search strategy, click on the "Details" button in PubMed once the search has been executed.
Pregnancy and Childbirth
- Prenatal Ultrasound - Is routine prenatal screening with ultrasound recommended?
- Sugar Tests in Pregnancy - Should all pregnant women have a glucose test to detect early diabetes?
- Screening for Bacteria in the Urine During Pregnancy - Should all pregnant women have a urine test to detect bacteria?
- Home Uterine Activity Monitoring to Prevent Preterm Birth - Does home monitoring of fetal movements help prevent early labour and premature delivery?
- Continuous Electronic Monitoring of the Baby During Labour - What are the benefits/risks?
Newborns and Young Children
- The Well-Baby Examination in the First Two Years - What should be checked and how often.
- Breast Feeding - Benefits of
- Colds and Sore Throats in Children - When and how to treat.
- Ear Infections in Children - When and how to treat.
- Immunizing Children - Benefits/risks/recommendations.
- High Blood Pressure in People Under 65 - When to screen and when to treat
- Controlling High Blood Pressure in People Over 65 - When to screen and when to treat
- Using ASA to Prevent Heart Attack
- Managing Chest Pain
- Cholesterol Testing - Who/when to test
- Breast Cancer - Should all women do breast self exam? When should a mammogram be done?
- Cervical Cancer - How often should Pap test be done?
- Prostate Cancer - Are screening tests recommended?
- Colon Cancer - Which screening test should be done? When?
Other Common Problems
- Screening for Diabetes in Adults - Should healthy people with no symptoms of diabetes have their sugar tested?
- Low Back Pain - Management
- Early Detection of Depression - What can be done to detect depression early?
- Smoking Cessation - Which methods work? Is counseling effective?
- Osteoarthritis - Management
- Headache - Assessment - Which headaches need treatment?
- Hormone Replacement Therapy in Women - Risks/benefits/recommendations
Find evidence-based literature from the last five years on the most popular medical education topics through PubMed's database .
Choose from the most searched topics in teaching and learning in the health professions:
- Clinical supervision - medicine
- Clinical supervision - nursing
- CME effectiveness
- Competency-based medical education
- Competency-based professional education - nursing, pharmacy etc.
- Faculty development
- Feedback - teachers and students
- Interprofessional education - teaching of
- Learning - adult learning principles
- Learning styles in adult learners - impact of
- Learning theories
- Mentors in medical education
- Problem-based learning - effectiveness
- Professionalism - teaching and learning in medical school
- Teacher role or effectiveness in medical education
- Teaching - lecture method
- Teaching - small group teaching
- Teaching in the ambulatory care setting
- Teaching clinical skills
- Teaching procedural skills - teaching and assessment