Tuition Support for Faculty
University of Toronto tuition waiver benefit for Full-time and Full-time Equivalent Clinicians
As a result of the Clinical Faculty Policy instituted on July 1, 2005, Full-time and Full-time Equivalent Clinicians are eligible for the University of Toronto tuition waiver benefit:
Fees are waived for qualifying clinicians (includes full-time clinicians retired from 2005) taking:
- University of Toronto or Ontario Institute for Studies in Education degree course, up to and including the Master’s level. For Master’s level programs, the tuition waiver is limited to the part-time program fee per academic year, or the course fee, whichever is less.
- Diploma or certificate program offered through Woodsworth College
- Courses offered by the School of Continuing Studies up to $500.00 per course
Note: Some course(s)/program exclusions apply.
For more information and for application information please visit the Faculty of Medicine website.
DFCM Tuition Support for Clinical Faculty
DFCM wishes to support Faculty members undertaking further training at a graduate studies level or in one of our Clinical Research/Teacher CE level certificate programs in order to meet the strategic goals of the department and increase capacity in clinical care, education, research and scholarship.
In recognition of the investment made by the site and the DFCM, following completion of the program candidates are expected to commit to remain an active member of the DFCM (as invited) for a number of years equivalent to the years of financial support provided. Failure to meet this commitment will result in the learner refunding in full the total funding support received.
“Research Stream” PhD and MSc students may be eligible to receive reimbursement for up to 50% of the part-time tuition fee from DFCM and guidance on other sources of funding from local, provincial and/or national bodies.
“Professional Stream” MPH, MScCH, MEd, MBA, etc. students may be eligible to receive reimbursement for up to one third of the part-time tuition fee from DFCM provided that it is matched by an equivalent amount from their associated Hospital Site Chief. The balance of fees will be paid by the learner.
Faculty enrolled in our CE Clinical Research/Teacher certificate program may be eligible to receive a waiver of up to one third of the tuition fee from the AFGS Program of the DFCM provided that it is matched by an equivalent amount from the associated Hospital Site Chief. The balance of fees will be paid by the learner.
September 30 annually
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be registered in a graduate degree program or the Clinical Teacher/Research Certificate program at a Canadian university
- Hold an active academic appointment at DFCM for the year(s) that tuition support is being requested
- Have secured matching funds from their Hospital Site Chief (for professional degrees and certificate programs)
Note: Applicants who qualify for the University of Toronto tuition waiver benefit are not eligible for DFCM tuition support
- Applications for funding support will be reviewed after the application deadline
- DFCM will only reimburse tuition paid in the current or previous academic year; incidental costs will not be covered
- Budget limitations may dictate that the above monies be distributed proportionately or selectively (to meet the needs of the department) if the number of candidates is beyond the capacity of the budget allotment in any given year
- All individuals seeking further funding in subsequent years will be reviewed as per above application process
Application Package should include:
- Application Form
- Paid Invoices (if applicable): Applicants seeking tuition support for research or professional degrees must supply copies of paid invoices before reimbursements to the learner by DFCM can be made
- Letter from Hospital Site Chief (if applicable): Applicants seeking tuition support for professional degrees or certificate programs must supply a letter from the applicant’s Chief confirming their commitment of tuition support. DFCM Faculty not affiliated with a DFCM teaching site (e.g. FMLE preceptors) may need to find matching funding from another source
Submit Applications to:
Academic Fellowship and Graduate Studies Program
Department of Family and Community Medicine
500 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7