Undergraduate MD Program Details: St. Joseph’s Health Centre
SJHC Urban Family Health Team (SJHC UFHT); Sherbourne Health Centre; Community Health Centres (CHCs), private MD offices
Type of Practice
St. Joe's is a community-based teaching hospital with a clearly stated vision to be the “best community-based teaching hospital in Canada.” Clerks will work both in the hospital-based Family Medicine Clinic as well as in a community office. Clerks will get exposure to a diverse population of patients from all walks of life, including many new immigrants and vulnerable populations. The typical clerk will have three family medicine supervisors plus a community preceptor. The benefit of this is the exposure to different practice styles and different practice populations. Our usual clinics are Monday-Fridays 9-5. The clerk may also have exposure to evening clinics, for which there is lieu time given during the day.
Location of Practice
St Joe’s is located at the west end of Toronto between the neighbourhoods of High Park and Parkdale. Clerks will work both at St. Joseph’s Health Centre which is located on The Queensway and in the community — all offices are TTC accessible.
At the hospital, students can purchase hospital parking at the student rate.
Special Features of Site
- Video cameras in hospital-based clinic for observation and feedback
- Practice Solutions EMR at SJHC
- Possible extra experiences where schedule allows:
- 1-2 half days over the rotation on the SJHC inpatient palliative care service
- 1-2 half days over the rotation in an addictions medicine clinic
- 1 half day during the rotation with our dietitian
- 1-2 half days over the rotation with our Nurse Practitioner
- 1 half day over the rotation with our social worker
- 1 half day during the rotation for a dedicated prenatal clinic (if the schedule allows)
- 1 half day of home visits (if the schedule allows)
Low-risk obstetrical calls.