The promotion process from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor or full Professor is an internal and external process.
The process towards a successful promotion is gradational involving our Department, internal and external referees, the Faculty of Medicine, the Dean and the Provost.
Academic promotion in the Faculty of Medicine recognizes the notable achievements of faculty members in their discipline and contributions to the University of Toronto. Promotion is not granted as a reward for long-term service, but rather to recognize those who have excelled in specific aspects of the academic mission. The successful candidate for promotion will be expected to have established a wide reputation in his or her field of interest, to be deeply engaged in scholarly work, and to show him or herself to be an effective teacher.
According to the University of Toronto Policy and Procedures Governing Promotions, promotion is based on accomplishments in scholarship:
- Creative Professional Activity (CPA)
- Administrative Service to the University
This website will provide:
- A series of three videos on questions and advice in applying for a senior promotion
- Important Senior Promotion Documents
- The Departmental Promotions Committee (DPC)
- Where to start in applying for a senior promotion
- Senior Promotion Process and Workshops
- Contact Information
in addition, the DFCM invites you to attend:
- Senior Promotion Information Session
- Senior Promotion Workshop Series
Senior Promotion: Assistant to Associate Professor or full Professor VIDEOS
We are pleased to provide three videos of DFCM faculty addressing questions and providing advice on the process of becoming an Associate Professor or full Professor.
- Senior Promotion - What has a senior promotion meant to you?
- Senior Promotion - Do you have any advice for others in preparing for a senior promotion?
- Senior Promotion - Who has assisted you in the senior promotion process?
Important Senior Promotion Documents
- The Manual for Academic Promotions, to Associate and Full Professor
- The CV Format, from the Manual for Academic Promotions, is available.
- The Pre-Application Package for a senior promotion - (Due Date: Monday, April 9, 2018)
- A DFCM Timeline for a Senior Promotion in 2018-2019
The Department Promotions Committee (DPC)
The DPC has the very important job of reviewing the senior promotion pre-applications and dossiers for faculty recommended to the rank of Associate of full Professor. Membership is comprised of senior faculty (Associate and full Professor).
Where to Start in applying for a Senior Promotion
January - March 31, 2018
- Review the Manual for Academic Promotion (linked above)
- Attend an Information Session and the workshop series
- Schedule a meeting with your respective Chief or approved DFCM Program Director to discuss your promotion
- Schedule a meeting with the DFCM Department Promotions Committee (DPC) Chair to discuss your promotion. This meeting may be arranged through the Chair’s Office: email@example.com
- Review the DFCM Senior Promotion Timeline (linked above)
For additional information on the senior promotion process in the DFCM, please contact:
Marie Leverman | Academic Promotions Coordinator
Department of Family and Community Medicine
Faculty of Medicine | University of Toronto
500 University Avenue, 5th Floor | Toronto ON | M5G 1V7
Tel: 416-978-8140 | Fax: 416-978-3912 |
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org |
Senior Promotion Workshop Series
The DFCM will be hosting a Senior Promotion Workshop Series for faculty who are interested in applying for a senior promotion (Assistant Professor to Associate Professor, Associate Professor to full Professor). The workshops are facilitated for faculty that are considering to go forward for a senior promotion.
We are pleased to announce our senior promotion workshop dates. Please see below for details.
Who should attend:
- If you are planning to apply for a senior promotion this year, the workshop series will be valuable and important to attend
- Faculty at the rank of Assistant Professor and Associate Professor are invited to attend
Reasons to attend the Senior Promotion Workshop Series:
- Understand the criteria, process, timeline and the practical steps to apply for a senior promotion
- Understand the components of a senior promotion application dossier
- Faculty who have recently received a senior promotion will share advice and information
Session Leaders Include:
- The Program Director, Professional Development Program
- Professor and Vice-Chair Family Doctor Leadership, Dr David White
- Successful candidates in the senior promotion process as a guest speaker
Senior Promotion Workshop Series Dates
Please register for the senior promotion sessions below on our Information Sessions & Workshops page.
February 13, 2018 - Information Session & Workshop #1
- Information Session links: agenda and powerpoint slides
- Workshop #1 links: agenda and powerpoint slides
- This workshop will outline the criteria, steps, application process, timeline, and required documents for a senior promotion as well as identify the four main components of a senior promotion dossier.
- An outline of the references and resources will be identified.
- Time will be dedicated for individual assessments to identify what you can count towards a promotion. This workshop will use a combination of methods including interactive lecture, small group discussion, informational videos and individual assessment. Each participant will leave with key information they can immediately apply to preparing their dossier.
Please see our Information Sessions & Workshops page to register.
March 20, 2018 - Workshop #2
- This workshop is for faculty preparing for a promotion within 1-2 years and have ideally attended Workshop #1.
- We will take a more in-depth look at your scholarship accomplishments in research, teaching and education, creative professional activities and administrative service.
- Participants will map the foundation of their senior promotion pre-application package.
Please see our Information Sessions & Workshops page to register.
May 29, 2018 - Workshop #3
- This workshop is primarily for candidates that have been “supported” by the DFCM Senior Promotion’s Committee to go forward in the 2018-2019 senior promotion process.
Registration is not open for this workshop at this time.
Steps in the Senior Promotion Process
- Meet with your respective Chief or approved DFCM Program Director to discuss your promotion. Determine that you meet the criteria for a senior promotion.
- Meet with the DFCM Chair (January - May: a set number of documents are required for this meeting)
- Attend the DFCM Information Session (February)
- Whether you plan to apply this year, next year or in a few years, this session will help you prepare
- Understand the process, criteria and the practical steps to apply for a senior promotion
- Attend the DFCM Senior Promotion Workshop Series (February - May)
- A series of three workshops are provided that cover the application dossier
- Candidates are strongly encouraged to attend
- Additional information is below
- Prepare and submit and Senior Promotion Pre-Application (April)
- Faculty are required to submit a Senior Promotion Pre-Application package to the DFCM Senior Promotions Committee in order to obtain feedback regarding readiness for promotion.
- Following review and support to go forward, each candidate will receive a senior promotion binder, with designated tabs, to prepare their dossier.
- If supported to go forward in the senior promotion process, attend the final workshop (May)
- Submit a completed senior promotion dossier to the DFCM Academic Promotions Coordinator (September)
- The DFCM completes the internal, external and student review process (September - December)
- The Decanal Promotions Committee complete their review process (January - March)
- The Provostial review typically occurs in April
- Successful candidates are invited to an annual DFCM recognition event