Undergraduate MD Program Details: St. Michael's Hospital
Family Practice Unit at 61 Queen Street East; St. Lawrence Health Centre; Health Centre at 410; St. James Town Health Centre, Health Centre at 80 Bond Street; Sumac Creek Health Centre
Type of Practice
Academic family practice associated with St. Michael’s Hospital.
Location of Practice
The St. Michael’s Hospital Department of Family and Community Medicine operates from six sites as a Family Health Team. All of the sites are accessible by TTC and are within walking distance of St. Michael’s Hospital.
Special Features of Site
- Large interprofessional team environment with diversity of learning experiences.
- Inner city health exposure (marginalized populations, addictions, homelessness, refugee health, LGBTQ primary care, HIV/AIDS primary care).
- Primary clinical placement in one of the teaching units.
- Two half days in a shelter/homeless health care experience.
- One half day at the St. Michael’s Hospital Cardiac Rehab Follow-up Clinic run by family physicians and an interprofessional health care team.
- One half day unique MSK interdisciplinary professional education program taught by a physician, chiropractor, nurse practitioner and pharmacist with students from other health professions.
The following are optional family medicine experiences, subject to preceptor availability:
- Family medicine obstetrics evening call
- Evening or weekend walk-in/urgent care clinics
- Home visits
- Smoking cessation clinic (MD- and pharmacist-led)
- Primary care Diabetes Education Program (RN- and RD-led)