The Dr. Harrison Waddington Fellowship is awarded annually to enable family physicians to pursue higher education at the University of Toronto. The award will support the recipient in pursuing peer-reviewed dissemination of an education scholarship project beyond what would be required for their graduate program. This could include further dissemination of a required practicum project or thesis. A wide range of education scholarship projects are acceptable, including research, innovation, curriculum development, learner assessment, program evaluation, or the scholarship of teaching or mentorship. The DFCM Office of Education Scholarship will also provide project consultation as required to the award recipient.
The applicant must be a family physician licensed and practicing in Ontario who is enrolled in graduate studies (in a full-time or part-time master’s or PhD program) at the University of Toronto for the year the award is granted.
- Completed application form
- Copy of a current CV
- Letter of recommendation
- A description of the education scholarship project to be disseminated (up to three pages, 12 pt. Arial font, single spaced)
The description should include the following sections (1):
- Clear Goals: A description of the problem, the goal, objectives, and relevant questions related to your project.
- Adequate Preparation: The institutional context surrounding the project; a literature review and summary of the current state of knowledge regarding this topic. This will also include a description of the impetus for the proposed project, a clear demonstration or statement of current practice (i.e. environmental scan), the gap or need identified, and detail of perceived value of project outcome.
- Appropriate Methods: this will include a description of your proposed methods which are appropriate to your project goals.
- Dissemination plan and timeline
Amount of Award: up to $4,000
Application Deadline: September 7, 2018
Submit applications to: Graduate Studies Program
(1) From Glassick C.E. (2002). Boyer’s Expanded Definitions of Scholarship, The Standards for Assessing Scholarship, and the Elusiveness of the Scholarship of Teaching. Acad Med, 75, 877-880.