Departmental Award: Excellence in Development and Use of Innovative Instructional Methods
This award recognizes and formally rewards outstanding individuals or groups by acknowledging the emphasis that the Department of Family and Community Medicine places on developing and implementing innovative instructional methods.
DFCM faculty (individual or group) who have developed and used one of the instructional media listed below in teaching are eligible.
The following instructional media (alone or in combination) will be considered:
- Videos, webinars, and podcasts.
- Models and specimens.
- Software and applications.
- Online learning modules.
- Textbooks, handouts, syllabi.
- Other usage of social media.
- Any other creative medium.
The following criteria will be considered in reviewing each nominee:
- Effectiveness—evidence that student learning has been enhanced by this instructional medium.
- Uniqueness and Originality—in the development, materials, presentation, and application of the medium.
- Creativity and Innovation—in the design of the medium.
- Appropriateness—of the medium for the teaching context.
- Clarity—comprehensibility and logical arrangement of the medium.
- Relevance—to curriculum; appropriate level and detail and accuracy.
- Evidence of scholarly dissemination.
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Award of Excellence Selection Committee and the names and titles of the committee members can be found on the DFCM website. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, or a DFCM Program Director, or a Division head, or a Faculty/Staff supervisor or colleague.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- CV. (One CV should be submitted by the group lead)
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted.
Please submit the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation by March 15, 2017 to:
Laura Surdianu, Faculty Development
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Toronto, 500 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7