Departmental Award: Excellence in Social Responsibility
This award recognizes contributions by DFCM faculty in activities that advance aspects of the Department’s mission and values, such as social responsibility and accountability. The World Health Organization has defined social accountability as it applies to medical schools, as their “obligation to direct…education, research, and service activities towards addressing the priority health concerns of the community, region, and/or nation they have a mandate to serve.
Examples of socially responsible activities could include:
- Clinical outreach.
- Community-related or community-directed medical and health-care education.
- Research questions formulated in consultation with a community.
Any faculty member of the Department of Family and Community Medicine is eligible.
The selection committee will consider the following criteria:
- Leadership of programs or projects that identify and/or address a community’s priority health concerns.
- Demonstrated awareness of, and advocacy for, a community’s health needs.
- Contribution to a shared vision for an evolving and sustainable health system.
- Linkage of a relevant project or program to family medicine.
- Sustained (i.e. more than five years) excellence in contributing to relevant projects or programs.
- Evaluation of outcomes.
- Significant contribution to scholarship in an area with demonstrable social value.
One award winner will be selected from each of the following categories:
- Fully Affiliated Sites
- Community Affiliated Sites
- Community Sites
- HPEs Fully Affiliated Sites
- HPEs Community Affiliated Sites
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, or a DFCM Program Director, or a Division head, or a Faculty/Staff supervisor or colleague.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted.
Please submit the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation by January 29, 2018 to:
Laura Surdianu, Faculty Development
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine,
University of Toronto, 500 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7