Departmental Award: Excellence in Teaching (Early Career)
This award recognizes outstanding new teachers who have been teaching in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
Any faculty member who has taught learners in the DFCM for five (5) years or less, across the medical continuum such as:
- Teaching in the pre-clerkship curriculum
- Hospital-based core clerkship teaching.
- Community-based core clerkship teaching.
- Electives teaching.
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Development
- Continuing Education
The selection committee will consider one or more of the following criteria to assess the impact of the nominee’s teaching:
- Documentation of teaching excellence.
- Commitment; quantity of teaching, accessibility to learners, evidence of self- development in teaching methods, and research/publications on teaching methods.
- Evidence of personal commitment to advancing knowledge in the area of teaching and education.
- Ability to organize material and emphasize principles.
- Demonstrated ability to stimulate learners; encourages interest in and enthusiasm for subject, displays good rapport with learners, leads learners to think critically, analytically and independently, and to organize their own learning.
- Effective use of appropriate teaching resources and instructional media.
- Participation in curriculum development.
- Contribution as a suitable role model.
One award winner will be selected from each of the following categories:
- Fully Affiliated Sites
- Community Affiliated Sites
- Community Sites
- HPEs Fully Affiliated Sites
- HPEs Community Affiliated Sites
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, or a DFCM Program Director, or a Division head, or a Faculty/Staff supervisor or colleague.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted.
Please submit the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation in a single PDF file by February 15, 2018 to:
DFCM Central Awards Committee
c/o: Laura Surdianu, Faculty Development
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
500 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7