Southlake Regional Health Centre
Southlake Family Medicine Teaching Unit
Newmarket is in the center of York Region and the Central Local Health Integrated Network and is part of the most rapidly growing area of Ontario. Southlake Regional Health Centre is a busy modern 400-bed hospital providing community care in all basic birthing, medical and surgical services. We respond to the ever changing health care environment nimbly to ensure our services grow and match the community needs. Our vision, core commitments and values reflect our drive in everything we do.
Southlake is a sophisticated tertiary regional referral centre for cardiac care (including cardiac surgery and arrhythmia programs), cancer treatment (including on site radiation therapy and full palliative care service at the Stronach Regional Cancer Centre), child and adolescent mental health (including inpatient program and eating disorders), maternal and perinatal care (including level two neonatal care), and thoracic surgery. We have a busy emergency department with 90,000 visits per year and an efficient fast-track service. Southlake is nationally known for its state of the art Arrhythmia Program, Arthritis Program and Eating Disorders Program. The Southlake Research Institute is committed to advancing the scholarly work of the people that work here.
Teaching Site Facilities:
Located in an ultra-modern Medical Arts Building, including the following healthy lifestyle and convenience amenities:
- Attached to the hospital, emphasis on high ceilings and natural light
- Diagnostic imaging (X-ray, US, Mammo) and ambulatory procedures facility
- Special procedures room (minor OR and Gyne Room) in FHT space
- Specially-built resident team room
- Healthy eating options across the bridge
- Shower facility in the FHT space
- Conference centre auditorium and meeting room facilities are in same building.
- Electronic medical record keeping through Practice Solutions
- Office access to hospital EMR Records and PACS
- AV supervision rooms
- Full interdisciplinary team in place including pharmacist, social worker, RPN’s, nurses and dietician
- Outpatient care in varied community settings (office, after hours clinic, group and residential homes, long-term care homes, residential hospice)
There is daily GO train service one block from the hospital and Newmarket has a regional transit service. Proximity to downtown, Toronto: 56 km, 70-minute drive.
Southlake’s catchment area includes multiple small and medium sized communities with a total population of approximately 250,000 people. Communities are varied across all socioeconomic classes including rural and Aboriginal communities with a wide ranging cultural base.