- Category: Full-time, Part-time, Adjunct
- Academic Job Description Categories
- Hospital Appointment Categories
An individual or individuals, licensed to practice medicine in Ontario and holding a Medical-Dental staff appointment on the Active Staff (or equivalent) of a fully-affiliated teaching hospital or community teaching hospital, or an affiliated community practice or, less often, working in a community clinic, industry or in private practice, and appointed as clinical faculty in a Temerty Faculty of Medicine clinical department.
Research, creative professional activity as defined in University policy, teaching (including provisions of clinical care that may involve supervision of students, residents, or other clinical trainees), academic administration or work that is deemed by the Temerty Faculty of Medicine to be directly in support of University academic work by other clinical faculty.
The clinical academic appointment category is based on the time engaged in DFCM academic activities.
- Full Time: Clinical Appointment: 80% or more of his/her professional working time
- Part Time: Clinical Appointment: 20% - 79% of his/her professional working time
- Adjunct: Clinical Appointment: for less then 20% of his/her professional working time.
The usual entry level rank for faculty.
Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have a Masters level degree (after having already completed a MD) as well as 1-2 peer-reviewed first author publications. Faculty members may be promoted to Assistant Professor after five years at Lecturer rank.
Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have academic productivity and / or local or regional distinction. Faculty members may be promoted to Associate Professor after five years at Assistant Professor.
Initial appointment at this rank requires the candidate to have national/international levels of academic distinction and/or extreme productivity.
The categories, criteria, and conditions of appointments must be based on academic job descriptions. Full descriptions of the Job Description Categories can be found on this document.
- A faculty member with clinical responsibilities that facilitates and is engaged in research, teaching and education.
- Recognition of high levels of clinical competence by peers is an important aspect of the faculty appointment.
- Teaching may be done concurrently with clinical care or in organized educational programs.
- Time distribution in academic activities may be for a full-time, part-time or adjunct appointment.
Clinician Leader / Administrator
- A faculty member engaged in academic activities with a time commitment to administrative responsibilities, e.g., Family Physician-In-Chief, Site Program Director.
- These faculty members also contribute to the provision of clinical services, essential to the academic mission.
- Time distribution is engaged in administrative activities for 40-90% of her/his professional time.
Scientist (Non MD Researcher)
- A faculty member whose major academic activity is research, regardless of the type of research.
- Engaged in research, teaching and CPA activities for at least 80% of their professional time.
- The time commitment for research is 70% or greater.
Clinician Scientist (MD)
- An MD faculty member whose major activity is in research, regardless of the type of research.
- The time distribution engaged in research, teaching and CPA activities for at least 80% of their professional time.
- The time commitment for research is 70% or greater.
- A faculty member who has a large part of academic activity in research, regardless of the type of research.
- Time distribution, engaged in research, teaching and CPA activities for at least 80% of their professional time.
- The time commitment for research is 40-70%.
- A faculty member who has a major part of activity in research, regardless of the type of research.
- Time distribution, engaged in research forms less than 40% per month.
- A faculty member with a major time commitment to education, education-related administration and scholarly activities related to education and also contributes to the provision of clinical service that is essential to the academic mission.
- Engaged in teaching and educational activities, including relevant clinical activity, and related scholarly and administrative activities for at least 80% of her/his professional time.
- This typically includes 20-50% of time devoted to teaching and/or educational development or educational research (may include CPA) and clinically related activities (20-40%).
Clinician in Quality and Innovation
- A faculty member whose primary academic interest is that of engaging in quality improvement (QI), patient safety, knowledge translation (KT), or other forms of healthcare innovation (e.g., advancing health informatics, developing new models of care).
- Focused primarily on enhancing health outcomes through leadership and collaboration around improvement and innovation activities.
Hospital staff appointment categories are an important element of the appointments process. They’re an important element in determining which category of clinical appointment a physician is eligible for. REMINDER: Physicians who do not have a hospital staff appointment and are located at a non-affiliated site are considered “office based”. These appointees are ONLY eligible for a Clinical Adjunct appointment (regardless of time commitment)
|FULL AFFILIATE SITE||COMMUNITY AFFILIATE SITE|
|Hospital Appointment Category||What to select on UofT laserfiche Application Form||Full Time Clinical||Part Time Clinical||Adjunct Clinical||Full Time Clinical||Part Time Clinical||Adjunct Clinical|
|Active Staff (primary, probationary, secondary)||"Active Staff / Equivalent"||YES||NO (unless compelling reason and Chair, Chief, Dean agree)||NO||NO (maybe YES if CPP)||YES||YES|
|Courtesy & Consultant Staff||"Courtesy and Consultant Staff"||NO||YES||YES||NO||YES||YES|
|Clinical Associate Staff (Covering, Term)||"Clinical Associate Staff"||NO||YES||YES||NO||YES||YES|