FAQ: Canadian Medical Graduate (CMG) Virtual Interview Session
What is the schedule like for the Virtual Interview Session?
All applicants are required to attend one Virtual Interview Session regardless of the number of streams to which they have applied. All Family Medicine Virtual Interview Sessions are approximately 30 minutes and take place virtually over Zoom. It will be a panel interview with one faculty member and one resident and they will be blinded to your files. The interviews are a two way live virtual interview conducted in real-time between candidates and interviewer. Interviews will NOT be recorded.
The interview structure and format will be further reviewed at the optional Virtual Meet and Greet Sessions. Details on how to register for the Virtual Meet and Greet Sessions will be provided to those invited to an interview.
What is the expected duration of my virtual interview?
Your interview itself will last for up to 30 minutes. The virtual interview times are schedule between 6:00pm-9:00pm ET. We will notify you of your required login time and exact interview time approximately 1 week before your Virtual Interview Session.
How many interviewers take part in the interview?
All interviews will include 2 interviewers (one faculty and one resident).
Where do the Virtual Interview Sessions take place?
The Virtual Interview Sessions this year will be taking place over Zoom.
What is the dress code for the Virtual Interview Session?
The dress code for interviews is business casual. Suits or ties are not required.
How do I prepare for the Virtual Interview Session?
Preparing for interviews is a very individual process and depends on your personal style and preferences. The following are some suggested tips that may help you maximize your experience at your upcoming Interview and Information Session.
- Review the program description on the CaRMS website prior to your interviews
- Review your personal letter
- Prepare questions that you could ask your interviewers during the interview
- Practice. Try to answer typical residency interview questions ahead of time
- Ensure you have strong, honest answers for the following questions:
- Why do you want a career in family medicine?
- Where do you see yourself in 5–10 years?
- Why are you interested in our program?
- What are your strengths and weaknesses? What has been your most difficult experience during medical school?
- Review your CV and any formative experiences
- Be yourself! Reflect on what really makes you a good fit for Family Medicine
If I don't attend the virtual interview, do I still get ranked in the program?
If you do not participate in a virtual interview, you will NOT be ranked by the program.
Will my interviewer have reviewed my file before the interview?
No. Your interviewer will only have minimal access to demographic information from your file prior to the interview. Please be sure in your interview to highlight any experiences or discrepancies in your file that you feel may be important to your assessment.
I received confirmation for a 3 hour time period, what time is my interview?
Please note that you will be informed of your registration time closer to your interview date. You will be required to participate in your 30 minute interview only.
What do I need to bring to the Virtual Interview Session?
PHOTO IDENTIFICATION IS REQUIRED. Only ONE of the following documents below is required for verification at your scheduled virtual interview :
- Driver's license
- Permanent Resident Card
- Canadian Citizenship Card