FAQ: Admissions Process

When adding research publications, am I required to include the abstract and the published article?

It is best to append all documents in the supplemental document section on CaRMS online. There are no specific guidelines on what is required for research publications but it would be helpful to the file reviewers to include all appropriate documentation.

Is it possible to add different residency streams (i.e. GTA, Barrie or Newmarket or Integrated Communities) after the CaRMS application submission deadline?

When applying to the U of T residency program, it is recommended that you apply for all streams you may be interested in before the CaRMS online application closes. Adding additional streams after the CaRMS online application closes may be considered until the last scheduled U of T Family Medicine virtual interview.  In order to be considered for additional streams, you must email dfcm.admissions@utoronto.ca indicating which streams you would like to add, in addition to adding the stream to your CaRMS online application. Please see the U of T Family Medicine Program Description on the CaRMS website. 

Do I have to apply and pay a separate fee for each stream I apply to?

No,  If you are interested in more than one stream,  you will have to apply for each stream seperately, but there are no additional application fees. Further information can be found here: What are the fee changes for the R-1 Main Residency Match?

If I submit a notarized/certified photocopy of my Birth Certificate does the photo ID need to be notarized as well?

No, the piece of photo ID submitted with your notarized/certified photocopied birth certificate does not need to be notarized/certified.

Do I need to notarize AND certify my proof of Canadian citizenship document?

No, your proof of Canadian citizenship documents can either be certified OR notarized, you will not be penalized for doing both. You may choose to do one or the other.

My legal full name is used throughout the CaRMS application but my reference letters may be addressed by my preferred name. Will this be a problem when my files are reviewed?

The main identifier throughout your CaRMS application is your CaRMS ID which can be verified by reviewers. It is recommended to ask your referees to use your legal name if possible or make reference to your legal name at the beginning of the reference letter.

My CaRMS application includes my married name; however some supplementary documents have my maiden name. Do I need to include a name change document?

The main identifier throughout your CaRMS application is your CaRMS ID which can be verified by reviewers. You may include any name change documentation with your application if desired in the supplementary documents section on CaRMS online.

If I apply to all three Family Medicine streams, can I choose different structured reference letters (SRL) for each stream?

A Family Medicine Structured Reference Letter (SRL) will be used by Family Medicine Programs across the country that require a reference letter.

In total three SRLs are required.  If possible, one or more SRL from a Family Physician is helpful but not required.  We require you use the same SRLs for all streams.

If I exceed the 500 word limit for my personal letter(s) will my letter(s) be disregarded?

We favour candidates who are able to follow instructions and we suggest that you do not exceed 500 words. Your application will not be discarded if it is over the word limit. If your transcript or file includes a break in training or failed year and you are required to add a transcript addendum as requested, this will not be included in the overall word count/length of your personal letter

What is a "Transcript Addendum"?

If your transcript or file indicates poor academic standing, course failure(s), loss of a year for academic reasons, or any other break in training, you are required to attach a supplementary statement to the beginning of your Personal Letter entitled “Transcript Addendum” explaining the above.

This transcript addendum will not count towards your word limit for your Personal Letter. If there is an academic transcript deficiency and a “Transcript Addendum” is not supplied, then the application may not be considered.

A transcript addendum should also be used to explain any reason for a gap in training or extra year (i.e. academic reasons, personal reasons, work, parental leave etc.). It is highly recommended for candidates to include a transcript addendum if they took a gap/extra year in order to give their application complete consideration.

How do I convey my interest in a specific stream if I am to submit the same application for all streams?

You are welcome to convey your interest for a specific stream in your personal letter and should you be offered the opportunity to interview.

Why should I apply to all streams if I am to submit the same application?

By applying to the different streams you are increasing your chances of matching to the Family Medicine Residency Program at the University of Toronto. You should list the streams that you choose to rank based on your own preference in our final rank list,  in order to maximize your chances of matching to your preferred stream.

Is it acceptable for the structured reference letter (SRL) to be signed by two referees i.e. (both contributed to the SRL).

Yes, many physicians are working remotely and may not be able to fully comment on a student skills unless in collaboration with a second in hospital/in person physician.  The SRL would count as 1 submission only.