Departmental Awards: Excellence in Research
- Junior Researcher
- Senior Researcher
The purpose of these awards is to acknowledge faculty who have made original contributions to research and knowledge building in family medicine within the last three years. The contribution may encompass any aspect of family medicine research, from clinical to health services to education.
Anyone with a DFCM primary appointment is eligible for nomination. There are two awards available per year, one in each category. To be eligible for the Junior Researcher award, the nominee must have held a DFCM faculty appointment that allowed the nominee to apply for grants and/or supervise trainees for a period not exceeding 60 months. For both awards, the DFCM Central Awards Committee will take into account productivity and potential impact of the research relative to the amount of protected research time. Awards will only be made if suitable candidates are identified. Previous award winners cannot win the award again in the same category but a faculty member can be awarded both the Junior Researcher and Senior Researcher award over time.
The selection committee will consider the following criteria:
- Research Productivity (including grants, publications and presentations)
- Impact of research
- Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self-nomination.
- The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee.
- The nominator is responsible for all the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Indication if the nominee is being considered for the Junior Researcher or Senior Researcher award.
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, DFCM Program Director, Division Head or Supervisor.
- A letter describing how the nominee meets the above selection criteria along with evidence to support the impact of their research (e.g. how it has changed practice, editorial recognitions, publications in high impact journals, citation indices such as h-index).
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted. A maximum of 3 additional documents can be added to the nomination. These may include letters of support, project proposals, educational materials, etc.
Please download the form and include it in the nomination package:
Please submit by email the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation in a single PDF file by April 15 (annually) to firstname.lastname@example.org