FD91: Creative Professional Activity
Creative Professional Activity (CPA) is a key scholarly endeavor for clinical faculty. This CPA practicum allows students to gain practical experience in this important area.
Participants are responsible for identifying their own area of interest and securing practicum activities with a field supervisor. The Program Director will provide guidance and support and must approve your outline or learning contract.
Monthly Meetings with Field Supervisor
Learners must identify a Faculty partner or “field supervisor” who will provide regular feedback and help to guide their practicum. If you are having a difficult time identifying such a person, please discuss with your program director. It will be helpful for you to reflect on what your objectives are for the practicum and select your Faculty partner(s) and practicum activities accordingly.
Certain hospital-based practicum activities may require Fellows who do not have CPSO licensure to apply for hospital observership privileges. Hospital policies with respect to observers must be adhered to at all times including potential administrative costs.
160 hours | 40-half days | average of 1 half-day per week over 12 months
- An initial learning contract or detailed outline (submitted within 20 hours of starting the project)
- A time log of all activities done related to the practicum
- A 2-3 page reflection exercise containing the following:
- Why this project?
- What went well?
- What would you do differently?
- Anticipated impact of project?
- Next steps?
- A copy of any product generated by the practicum (even in draft form), evaluations, written feedback, etc.
- An evaluation letter or email from your field supervisor addressing your competency and ability to complete the learning objectives of the practicum
- Satisfactory attendance and participation in assigned practicum sessions/meetings
Examples of CPA Activities:
The possibilities for CPA practicum are limitless, but some examples are:
- Development / evaluation of innovative educational program, curricula, etc.
- Quality improvement project
- Scholarly dissemination
More detail on what constitutes CPA can be found in the Hollenberg Report or in sec. 3.2 of the Faculty of Medicine Academic Promotions Manual
To begin a CPA practicum the fellow must be enrolled in a relevant prerequisite course. The practicum must be approved by the Program Director.