This community is part of the Integrated Communities Stream.
- Location: on the traditional territory of the Haudenosaunee, Anishinabewaki ᐊᓂᔑᓈᐯᐗᑭ, Mississauga and Wendake-Nionwentsïo peoples.
- Population: 30,000; Catchment area 75,000 approx.
- Access: 30 minute drive to Barrie; 1hour 45minute drive to Toronto. Public transit.
- Nearest Tertiary Centre: Toronto
Program + Community Highlights
Hospital Teaching Sites:
- PGY-1: North York General Hospital
- PGY-2: Orillia Soldiers Memorial Hospital
Number of Residents (for all 4 mid-Ontario Communities):
- CMG: 8
- IMG: 0
- PGY-1: 2 blocks
- PGY-2: Flexible, 1 off-site block
Recreation: City of Orillia situated on two lakes; brand new multi
use recreation center; thirty minutes or less to downhill skiing;
Nordic skiing trails within 20 minutes.
Local recreation centre with aquatic, fitness and gymnasium facilities.
Outdoor recreation opportunities with sporting fields, trail systems and
being in the heart of cottage country! Check out the Orillia Opera House.
Cultural Notes: Cottage country, seasonal influx of people and tourists.
Cost of Living: The cost of living in Orillia is lower than in Toronto but is still 5% higher than the national average. Rent and housing costs are particularly more expensive relative to the national average.
Type of curriculum: Horizontal. PGY-1 in Toronto, PG-2 in community.
- PGY-1: Four blocks of Family Medicine. Rotations of one block each in Hospitalist, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Ob/Gyne, Psychiatry, Peads and Emergency Medicine. Half block rotations in Geriatrics and Palliative Care.
- PGY-2: Group/solo practice,LTC, opportunities for horizontal experiences in ER shifts, inpatient care, GP anesthesia, with specialist preceptors in IM, Surgery, Ophthalmology, OB/Gyne, Ortho, Plastics, ENT, Rads, Urology
Unique features: Practice Management curriculum, Teaching Residents to Teach, residents maintain their own mini-practice, opportunities for low-risk OB and LTC call
Research: Requirement to complete academic project. Formal QI curriculum.