Departmental Award: Sustained Excellence in Teaching
This award recognizes outstanding experienced teachers in the Department of Family and Community Medicine.
Any faculty member who has taught learners in the DFCM for anything over five (5) years across the medical continuum such as:
- Teaching in the pre-clerkship curriculum (The Elizabeth Anne Beattie Award).
- Hospital-based core clerkship teaching
- Community-based core clerkship teaching
- Electives teaching
- Graduate Studies
- Faculty Development
- Continuing Education
The selection committee will consider one or more of the following criteria:
- Documentation of sustained teaching excellence.
- Commitment—quantity of teaching; accessibility to learners; evidence of self- development in teaching methods; research and publications on teaching methods.
- Ability to organize material and emphasize principles.
- Demonstrated ability to stimulate learners; encourages interest in and enthusiasm for subject; displays good rapport with learners; leads learners to think critically, analytically and independently, and to organize their own learning.
- Effective use of appropriate teaching resources and instructional media.
- Contribution as a suitable role model.
One award winner will be selected from each of the following categories:
- Fully Affiliated Sites
- Community Affiliated Sites
- Community Sites
- HPEs Fully Affiliated Sites
- HPEs Community Affiliated Sites
Nominations can be made by any faculty or staff member of the DFCM, including self- nomination. The nominations will be considered by the DFCM Central Awards Committee. The nominator is responsible for the collection and submission of the award nomination package and informing the nominee of their nomination.
Nominations for a DFCM Award of Excellence must include the following:
- Completed nomination form that includes the supporting signature of a teaching site Chief, DFCM Program Director, Division Head or Supervisor.
- Two letters of support indicating why this individual is being nominated in the selected category. Letters that are the most helpful address the criteria for the award and present evidence supporting the nominee’s excellence in those criteria.
- Additional material documenting evidence of excellence may be submitted.
Please complete the form online or download the form and include it in the package submited:
- dfcm_awards_of_excellence_nomination_form_2021.docx (47.4 KB)
Please submit by email the completed nomination form and corresponding award application documentation in a single PDF file by March 15, 2021 to:
DFCM Central Awards Committee
c/o: Danielle Dudycha, Faculty Development
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
500 University Avenue, 5th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M5G 1V7