Education Development Fund (DFCM internal process)
Do you have an idea for an EDF project? Here’s your chance to turn that idea into a successful application.
DFCM encourages faculty members who are newly engaged in education scholarship to consider applying for the Education Development Fund (EDF). Funded by the Education Vice-Deans, the EDF is intended to support new and innovative projects that align with our Faculty’s strategic priorities in education.
Applicants must apply and be approved through the DFCM internal review process prior to submitting an application to the Temerty Faculty of Medicine. These one-year grants can provide up to $20,000 (i.e. up to $10,000 from DFCM, plus up to $10,000 from the Temerty Faculty of Medicine).
If you are intending to collaborate with faculty members in other departments in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine, you may also need to submit your application to their department to compete for matched funding from all stakeholders.
EDF funded projects can either be in the area of Educational Innovation and Development or in Education Research.
The Office of Education Scholarship (OES) is here to help you with your EDF application. We can provide consultations as you formulate your idea, or at any stage of the process. If you are thinking about applying, book an informal virtual chat or a more in-depth consultation with an OES team member.
Friday, November 25, 2022 at 11:59 pm - Deadline for internal DFCM application
Friday, December 16, 2022 - Decision letters sent to applicants
January-February, 2023 - Consultations available. Book a consultation
Mid-March 2023 - Deadline for final Temerty Faculty of Medicine application
- Read the Temerty Faculty of Medicine EDF webpage carefully, particularly the section on “Eligibility and Team Member Roles.”
- Consultations are available at any time for applicants as they prepare their internal DFCM application request a consultation.
- If your project involves curriculum implementation and/or innovation, you must submit an email, with this application form, from the DFCM program director or division head, or appropriate education lead (e.g. MD Program Associate Dean), indicating that they support your project.
- Friday, November 25, 2022, 11:59 pm - Deadline for internal DFCM application. Now is the time to submit your ethics application. Please review the instructions about Submitting a Research Ethics Board Application on the DFCM website.
- Friday December 16, 2022 - Internal review decision letters will be sent to applicants.
- January-February 2023 - If you are notified that your application will be supported by the DFCM Chair, you will have approximately three months to revise your application based on the reviewers’ feedback, seek further consultation if needed, and prepare your final submission for the mid-MarchTemerty Faculty of Medicine deadline.
- Mid-March 2023 - Deadline for Temerty Faculty of Medicine application. Your final submission must be accompanied by official notification that your REB application is approved, exempt or pending. You will also be responsible for submitting the Letter of Support from the Chair that the Office of Education Scholarship will email to you.
Application, templates and helpful links
Eligibility and team member roles
Please refer to the Temerty EDF site for full eligibility details.
Note: Faculty members who serve in senior administrative or research positions (Vice Chairs, Program, Curriculum and Course Directors, Clerkship and Pre-Clerkship Directors, Research Directors and those considered to be Senior Education Scientists and Consultants) may only be listed as “Senior Advisors.”