Faculty Development (FD) Educational Initiative Grant
The Faculty Development Program Educational Initiative Grant provides seed funding to support faculty in their academic roles to pursue educational initiatives.
The FD Educational Initiative Grant Program will provide up to four awards annually of $2,500 (new in 2023, up to two awards each in April and October) to support the creation of new educational initiatives. The intended audience for such programs is DFCM faculty in their roles as clinicians and teachers or family medicine learners.
Funds are not issued proactively and must be collected when the project is completed.
Annually by April 30 and October 30
The FD Awards and Funds Committee will give preference to candidate projects which meet the following criteria:
- Aligns with the department strategic priorities
- Incorporates education scholarship principles
- Must Include:
- A well-developed evaluation plan
- A dissemination plan
- A proposed budget
- Includes a letter of support from the relevant division chief or departmental program director should address how the funded activity will contribute to the academic life of the unit or program.
- May give preference to junior faculty (less than 5 years since appointment)
- Preference will be given to those who do not have access to other funding
- Must be implemented within 1 year
- An abstract submission for a poster/paper/workshop at DFCM conference and/or other educational venues relevant to the project
- Be available to present at distributed sites when invited
- A summary report of findings to the FD Awards and Funds Committee upon completion of the project
- All faculty members appointed to the University of Toronto Department of Family and Community Medicine or a team with a DFCM faculty member
- Restricted to faculty who have not received the award in the previous 2 years
- Development of CME for healthcare providers is not covered, however evaluation or other scholarship within a CME program for faculty (CPD) will be considered
- Funds may be used for any of the following: Research Assistant, transcription, participant incentives (up to 15% of funding), dissemination (posters, publications etc), promotions (eg. advertising), or any other item(s) the committee deems acceptable
- Submit all original receipts (electronically scanned receipts will not be accepted).
- Funds cannot be used for speaker fees, gifts or as reimbursement to project leads.
- Complete an application form (fillable PDF—please ensure you save the file to your own computer).
- Submit it via email.
- Kindly mail all original receipts to:
C/O Madie Morassutti, Awards Administrator
Department of Family and Community Medicine, Temerty Faculty of Medicine, University of Toronto
5th Floor, 500 University Avenue
Toronto, ON M5G 1V7
Adjudicated by the DFCM Awards, Grants & Funds Lead and FD Awards and Funds Committee.