Markham Stouffville Hospital
Markham Stouffville Hospital (MSH) is a progressive, two-site community hospital with leading diagnostic services and clinical programs in acute care medicine, surgery, addictions and mental health and maternal and child rehab/transitional care; all of which are focused on the needs of our rapidly growing communities. Partnering with other specialist providers, the hospital is the centre of community care for the almost 400,000 residents of Markham, Stouffville and Uxbridge.
The Markham Stouffville Family Medicine Teaching Unitis located in a medical office building attached to the Markham site of the hospital and adjacent to specialists’ offices. It provides enhanced curriculum on global health as outlined in the program details.
Markham Stouffville Family Medicine Teaching Unit (FMTU)
Chief of Family Medicine
Dr. Allan Grill
Academic Chief of the Markham Family Medicine Teaching Unit
Dr. Donatus Mutasingwa
Teaching Site Facilities:
- Over 450 physicians, 16 midwives, and 2,100 staff
- Emergency department, extensive mental health program, paediatric and childbirth unit, surgical services, diagnostic services and many inpatient and outpatient services.
- Two sites:
- Markham site:
- State-of-the-art Building B opened 2013 which added 350,000 square feet to the hospital
- New emergency department and expanded Ambulatory Care Centre
- Eight new operating rooms
- State-of-the-art Diagnostic Imaging Centre
- Enhanced Maternal Child Centre
- Expanded Mental Health Centre
- Building A renovated in 2014
- Community centre and library located adjacent to the hospital with an indoor link to enable physician and staff to easily access the facility’s gym, fitness centre, running track and pools
- Uxbridge site:
- 20-bed hospital serving Uxbridge and surrounding communities for over 50 years
- Small, rural community
- Uxbridge site provides state-of-the-art diagnostics, emergency care and inpatient and outpatient services
- Markham site:
Proximity to downtown Toronto: 40 km
- One of the fastest growing communities in Ontario with a 24% increase in population over the last three years
- One of the most ethnically diverse municipalities in Canada
- York Region has the fourth highest proportion of visible minorities in Canada
Markham is a beautiful, vibrant community offering a small-town feel with all of the amenities of a large city. Located only 40 km from downtown Toronto, Markham is surrounded by farmland and lush landscapes.
With a focus on heritage and conservation, Markham offers the perfect mix of tradition and modern life. At the heart of the town is Markham Centre, Markham’s growing downtown, along with the town’s art gallery, museum, community centres and public library.